Monday, February 2, 2015

Synesthesia

I've always associated certain colors with certain moods for instance: the aggression of red, the vibrant jubilance of orange, or the calm earthiness of green, but I had never considered the association of colors to certain numbers or vice versa. Synesthesia is a very interesting neurological phenomenon, one which after reading the wiki page made me aware of my sensitivity to it. If in its basic form synesthesia is the stimulation of one cognitive pathway that leads to the involuntary stimulation in another, then it is something that I experience quite often. For example, with number form synesthesia, I keep mental calendar in my head that projects the days of the week, months and years in a way I can mentally visualize it, but within spacial relation to one another.

What I find most interesting is the fact that certain "synesthetes" have been able to utilize their synesthesia to create works of art, like the one shown below.


It's beautiful, yet challenging. It is difficult for me to comprehend how someone could be able to harness such a involuntary process to make works of art. And made me question whether or not one's perception to sensitivity is a skill that could be trained over time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment